Greer upgrades four rolling mills, eliminates bottlenecks.
(Dover, OH) — Greer Steel has recently completed a host of significant upgrades on four of its primary rolling mills. In keeping with Greer’s commitment to continual improvement, the upgrades were designed to enhance quality, increase mill productivity and reduce delays and downtime. Improvements were made on Greer’s 30”, 22”, 18R, and wire mills.
Greer’s Vice President of Commercial says, “Customer satisfaction is our highest priority. To that end, we initiated these improvements with a goal of further enhancing the quality of our products and the efficiency and reliability of our production.”
The most significant upgrades were completed on the company’s 30” rolling mill and include the following structural/component changes:
- Completely upgraded gearboxes and mounting systems minimize edge wave issues allowing for improved mill throughput.
- Enhanced guide box provides better edge quality.
- Optimized roll cooling improves product shape and enhances roll life.
- Improved Cpk performance through improved tolerances between the mill and roll chocks, results in better mill response/gauge correction.
- Reworked screw-down cylinders minimize potential future down time and possible loss of gauge performance.
- Redesigned and reworked spindle jacks minimize potential delays for misalignment during roll changes.
- Two new coolant valves minimize the potential for coolant carryover that can result in surface defects.
Additionally, new mass flow software was installed on the 30” mill, an upgrade that significantly improves the ability to reach “in tolerance” more quickly in the pass schedule. This, in turn, substantially improves Cpk performance.
Greer’s 18” reversing mill also received its share of upgrades: a revamp of the mill’s hydromation room, new coolant valves, a pump upgrade, and the refurbishing of a primary gear box and a spare gear box were initiated to provide a cleaner surface and more efficient production.
Greater efficiency and less downtime are also the benefits of a recently upgraded payoff reel on the 22” rolling mill.
Last, but not least, Greer’s wire mill received an upgraded control panel that has resulted in increased line speed with improved tension control, allowing for faster, more efficient production.
For additional information: 800-388-2868
Greer Steel, founded in 1917, produces cold rolled strip steel to customer specifications including various carbon grades, demanding surface finishes, tight gauge control, and edging, which can be supplied as coils or cut to length. The company is headquartered and has its main plant and service center in Dover, Ohio. Both facilities are ISO 9001-2008 certified and Greer Steel’s metals laboratory is A2LA accredited.